Even with a quality skin care routine, aging causes our skin to lose elasticity and develop wrinkles and fine lines over time. Today, there are numerous non-surgical face tightening procedures. These procedures tighten your skin by stimulating the production of collagen and other building blocks for a healthy, youthful appearance.
If you are considering a skin tightening treatment, you have a variety of options, each one with its own set of benefits. The best face tightening procedure for you depends on your personal needs.
Below, we will give you a brief overview of some of the most effective non-surgical treatment options on the market.
Botox And Dermal Fillers
Botox is among the oldest and best known skin wrinkle treatments, though it does not technically tighten your skin. It is highly effective at both eliminating and preventing crow’s feet, frown lines, and forehead wrinkles. It works by blocking nerve signals responsible for facial contractions, creating smoother skin. Botox injections take just a few minutes and come with no downtime.
In addition to Botox, which is well-known and highly effective, there are now also many different types of dermal fillers on the market, that can compliment the effects of Botox. Specific fillers were made to address specific issues. A consultation with a qualified practitioner can help you identify the best dermal fillers to reach your goals. In general, fillers also do not actually tighten your skin (similar to Botox), however, filling loose skin will make your skin appear tighter, and more youthful.
A few examples include:
● Juvederm – includes Voluma, Vollure, Volbella
● Restylane – includes Refyne, Defyne, Lyft, Silk, Kysse
● Radiesse – a unique filler based on hydroxyapatite
● Sculptra – naturally builds your own collagen instead of acting like a traditional filler
● Renuva – also not a traditional filler, naturally builds new fat cells in the treatment area
Every dermal filler is unique and therefore treatments will vary slightly. However, with most fillers, the process takes no more than 30 minutes. Getting fillers is not painful, but your practitioner can apply a topical numbing cream if you are concerned about discomfort.
Like Botox, dermal fillers do not usually cause much downtime. In some cases, you may be asked to refrain from wearing makeup or to stay out of the sun for a few days. Side effects are rare and usually include mild bruising or swelling, both of which should clear up on their own.
Fractora is an anti-aging procedure that works by delivering radiofrequency energy to the skin, which helps stimulate collagen production. It is commonly used on fine lines and deep wrinkles.
Fractora works by administering radiofrequency energy via tiny pins, which leave the skin slightly thermally injured. This both removes damaged skin and promotes collagen growth. As the skin works to repair itself, it will become smoother and tighter. Fractora can also reverse sagging in the jowls and neck and reduce the appearance of scars, acne, and hyperpigmentation.
The procedure takes around an hour. First, your practitioner applies a topical anesthetic. Then, they run a handheld device over the treatment area. Most people need between two and three Fractora treatments for optimal results, but you should see some changes after a single session.
You will need one to two days of downtime to recover post-treatment. Side effects may include mild bruising, redness, and swelling, but these issues should resolve on their own.
Morpheus combines microneedling and radiofrequency to tighten the tissues of the skin and improve its overall quality. The advantage of Morpheus is its ability to target specific layers of skin and deep tissues, allowing for more customizable results.
During Morpheus treatment, your practitioner applies a topical numbing cream. They then run a handheld device over the treatment area. Treatment is not painful and lasts between 15 and 60 minutes. Most patients need one to three sessions for optimal results.
There is very little aftercare associated with Morpheus. You should be able to resume most daily activities right away, but your practitioner may recommend you stay out of the sun for the first few days following treatment.
Profound is a new treatment that combines microneedling and radiofrequency energy to trigger the production of the three building blocks of younger-looking skin: collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid. Profound can tighten and tone skin and treat delicate areas on the face, jawline, and body. It differs from all other RF microneedling technologies in that it is a long pulse, lower heat treatment which is optimized to stimulate the production of elastin.
Profound’s microneedling technique delivers radiofrequency energy to the skin’s deepest dermal layers. The resulting heat triggers what is known as the “thermocollagenesis” effect, which spurs the production of collagen. The process is not painful because your practitioner will pre-inject the treatment area with a numbing compound. Treatment usually takes an hour to complete and you only need a single session to see results.
As Profound is able to penetrate the skin so deeply, results can be very dramatic. Profound not only tightens and smooths the skin. It can minimize cellulite, add volume to thinning skin, reduce sagging in the jowls, and even contour certain facial features.
You need a week of downtime after Profound treatment to rest and allow swelling and bruising to subside. You can return to non-strenuous activities – like cleaning and walking – within 24 hours. Talk to your practitioner about the precise timeline for your recovery as every patient is different.
Laser treatments for skin tightening use a variety of methods to stimulate the production of collagen. This can smooth out skin and treat issues such as fine lines, wrinkles, and even imperfections like discoloration and scarring.
Every laser treatment is unique, so a consultation is necessary to determine the right treatment for your goals. Options include:
- CO2 is an ablative laser therapy that removes the outermost layer of skin while heating the underlying skin. This stimulates collagen production and can successfully treat wrinkles and fine lines as well as issues such as acne scars and liver spots.
- IPL Photo Facials emit pulses of broad spectrum light that act on deeper layers of the skin. This can tighten and smooth out the skin while eliminating superficial capillaries, sun damage, and other skin issues.
- Clear + Brilliant reverses signs of aging by using laser energy to create millions of treatment zones that repair damaged skin with healthier tissue, with minimal downtime.
- Fractionated erbium lasers emit a grid of tiny beams that create microscopic injuries to the top layer of skin, stimulating the production of collagen. Erbium in non-ablative and therefore the recovery is faster.
- Elos (RF) uses radiofrequency energy to heat skin on a superficial layer, which helps tighten and smooth out skin. It can also have beneficial effects on some scars and hyper-pigmentation.
- Ultherapy (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU)) uses ultrasound energy beneath the skin’s surface to trigger collagen production. It can be particularly effective for treating sagging skin around the neck, chin, and brows.
- Forma (RF) uses radio frequency to heat tissue to promote collagen production, which can smooth over wrinkles and improve skin elasticity.
Laser treatments vary in intensity. Some options – like Clear + Brilliant – come with no post-treatment recovery period. Others – like CO2 – require up to 10 days of recovery time.
The Best Face Tightening Procedures: The Bottom Line
There has never been a more exciting time in aesthetic medicine. There are more face tightening procedures available now than ever before, many of which can be customized to meet very specific needs.
If you are interested in skin tightening, we recommend booking a consultation with an experienced practitioner. Every patient is different, and a practitioner can identify the right treatment for your unique needs.